Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Grand Canyon


After visiting Bryce Canyon, I traveled on down to the Grand Canyon hoping to overnight in the park. As it turns out the park campgrounds are generally booked year round; however, I was able to camp just 5 miles outside of the park at De Motte National Campground. Saturday morning I went back into the park to get a view from the north rim. I had visited the south rim of the park years ago while on a business trip with the Associated Press. I was surprised at the difference in views from the north rim and the south rim. As I recall, the south rim view was mostly that of a very barren canyon while the north rim view includes a lot of vegetation. Both views are incredible. The photos here are taken from the north rim.

Note the girl on the edge..scary






























Leaving the Grand Canyon National Park I headed out for San Ysidro, California. San Ysidro will be the third corner in my four corners tour. Realizing I would not make it all the way to San Ysidro in one day I stopped at the Hualapai Mountain Park, a county park run by Mohave County, Arizona. It was really a nice place to camp. The camp offered cabins, tepees, RV sites and tent sites. The tent sites were scattered up the mountain road so I drove about three quarters of the way up the mountain and found a very suitable site. I even had my on private porta potty. It was a very peaceful night  with a full moon and no insects.
Hualapai Mountain Park - Beautiful view from my tent!
 
This morning I set out again for San Ysidro. I did not plan to travel all the way to San Ysidro in one day but I did.  I stopped at two campgrounds on the way and both were gated with a check in time up to 4:30pm. I found that very odd.  I normally do not travel on the bike at night, much less through the mountains, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do, so that's what I did and eventually arrived in San Ysidro where I decided to crash at the local Motel 6. 


San Ysidro / 3rd corner