Friday, July 22, 2016

Take a deep breath!!



Waking up yesterday morning I felt a little shaken from the loose gravel or chipping incident. In addition to minor bike damage, I also sustained a mild shoulder injury. I call it mild now; however, it did not feel so mild at the time. The shoulder was better but still sore so I chose to spend another day in the Capitol Reef National Park Campgrounds. I'm glad I did. I went into town and took a nice refreshing shower at the local general store public shower and did some laundry.  At the end of the day I returned to the campground and took my favorite picture so far as the sun lit up the canyon wall. It was without a doubt a beautiful site.


As the sun set, the mountain glowed!

Today my shoulder feels better and I am back on the road. After packing the bike I headed out for Bryce Canyon, Utah. Traveling the historic Highway 12 in Utah is quite an adventure in itself. There is one section approximately 5 miles long that is called the Hogs Back. It literally has no shoulders on either side. Nor does it have guardrails.The Hogsback is a portion of Highway 12 that travels over the narrow spine of a mesa with canyons on either side created by Boulder Creek and the other side is Calf Creek.



This is a stock photo of the Hogsback
Photos and video will never do the Hogsback justice, you have to stand there on it and take in its breath taking views to truly appreciate its majesty. 



Continuing beyond the Hogsback I eventually reached Bryce Canyon. The Hoodoos in Bryce Canyon are unlike anything I have seen in any 
of the other canyons. Hoodoos are tall skinny spires of rock that protrude from the bottom of arid basins and "broken" lands.
The difference between Hoodoos and pinnacles or spires is that hoodoos have a variable thickness often described as having a "totem pole-shaped body." A spire, on the other hand, has a smoother profile or uniform thickness that tapers from the ground upward. At Bryce Canyon, hoodoos range in size from that of an average human to heights exceeding a 10-story building.